Re: Licensing books

At the risk of sounding too much like the testy examiner of this
assignment, I would suggest that this question is too
unconstrained to be useful. Similar in WHAT respects?

Do we mean similar from the point of view of licensing for sites
or single users? Or similar as regards delivery platform? Annual
pricing? Big deals? Is the presupposition that scholarly books
will be treated very differently from eg Trade books, or
Children's books? If so, is that a safe presupposition? etc

I suspect that Joe intended to target the question in a specific
direction, but it needs it. More direction and more context
please.

I will risk one thought for your consideration: the journal move
to the web began roughly 10 years ago. Looks as though the book
move is begining roughly now. The web is very different now from
what it was then. In the context of pervasive broadband and Web
2.0, a big database approach such as Google Book Search, seems a
lot more appropriate than the 'delivered file' approach used by
PDF-type content packages for specific scientific papers. The
challenge now for publishers and authors is much more on how to
design optimal e-libraries, ten years ago it looked like the
challenge was how to make e-books work. That was a blind alley.

Adam Hodgkin