Re: "Governing law" in license agreements

In the license agreements that I negotiate on behalf of the consortium I include language to the effect that the applicable law will be the "laws of the state of the subscribing institution." This covers all of the subscribers and takes care of the state institutions that cannot subject themselves to the laws of another jurisdiction. With some non-U.S. based vendors and publishers we have compromised and agreed to apply the laws of the state of NY. We also will opt to remain silent rather than subject member libraries in 30+ states to the laws of the state of the publisher/vendor. I have always found vendor/publishers willing to at least accept silence as a compromise. Good luck!

Cheers,

Tracy L. Thompson, Executive Director
New England Law Library Consortium (NELLCO)
www.nellco.org
603-357-3385 (voice)
603-357-2075 (fax)
tracy.thompson@yale.edu