Re: Taking Our Academic Medicine

I am an admirer of BioMedCentral, but I must respectfully disagree with
Matthew Cockerill's view of the merits of revenue per page and other
metrics for value of research publications. The problem simply is that no
revenue or page or cost or price exists in a vacuum; the figures have to
be anchored in a context. And this is very, very hard to do. Accounting
is a black art. While the devil can quote scripture, accountants quote
the devil.

There may be other business types on this list besides me, but speaking
for myself, I have been amused by the recent discussions of accounting. Perhaps there is yet more to come, perhaps we will soon be regaled by an
application of tax-loss carryforwards or a purchase price adjustment for
recent acquisitions or (drumroll, please) an examination of the relative
merits of acitivty-based allocations. If we do this right, we will
understand less than when we started. We should not let the abstractions
of accounting force us to toss common sense out the window.

Here is one example of why revenue per page doesn't mean anything. A
publisher may try to start a dozen journals before finding one that works
in the marketplace. The cost of starting those aborted journals gets
placed into the cost of the one journal that is successful. Not fair,
someone might say. On the other hand, this publisher is showing more
daring than the publisher who chances nothing. The latter publisher may
have a lower revenue cost per page (because there are lower total costs to
recover), but is actually doing the community a disservice by failing to
take risks.

So let's go back to common sense. Common sense tells us that there are
more desirable publications than many libraries have the money to
purchase. That's the problem: not cost per page or price per bit or
anything else. Libraries therefore commonsensically attempt to lower
their costs. And--this is fundamental--there is no such thing as a cost
that is low enough. Librarians will support those vendors that further
their aims, which may include BMC, and will move away from vendors that do
not. There is little reason to express moral outrage over any of this or
to attempt to document good guys and bad guys. This is the marketplace at
work.

Joe Esposito

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Cockerill" <matt@biomedcentral.com>