Re: Taking Our Academic Medicine

In principle "traditional publishers" have no problem with OA. If it enables
them to make sufficient surplus or profit for their purposes, including
investment in future author expectations etc, either the subscription based
model or the author paid model is OK.

My own view is that barriers to publication of good scholarship are more
important than barriers to making it readership possible for anyone who
might want to read an article. The sting in the tail for authors in this
debate is that (in the model which Dr. Cockerill seems to envisage) are
going to be told where they can publish depending on the value perceived by
the funder or may be the value of what is being submitted for publication as
perceived by the funders. All funding involves discrimination. Will there be
a separate filter from the peer review and preceding it?

 We do not know how the funders are going to decide what to fund - Wellcome
for example have not actually got round to explaining their principles in
this matter though there were hints at their presentation to the STM
conference at Frankfurt. I do not think it is publishers and authors (in
both of which categories I am) only who will find this rather a concern and
it is curious that no-one to my knowledge has explained exactly how an
author-paid system in an environment of total OA (as described by OA
advocates) is going to work. Marx managed this but not Harnad. Maybe
Cockerill can explain.

Anthony Watkinson