Re: Open access: a must for Wellcome Trust researchers [response to comments from ALPSP]

I beg to differ

The Wellcome's message to EXISTING grant-holders starts by saying:

"the Trust requires copies of all authors' research papers, supported in
whole or in part by Wellcome Trust funding, to be made freely accessible
on the Internet as soon as possible, and in any event no later that six
(6)  months after the publication."

There is NO MENTION of the fact that this policy, in fact, only applies to
grants awarded from 1 October 2005 and, since it was sent to existing
grant recipients (including many who have papers in press or indeed
published, and have thus signed agreements with publishers) I can well
understand their consternation

I fail to see why Wellcome does not think a clarification is necessary

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
Email:  sally.morris@alpsp.org