RE: Open access: a must for Wellcome Trust researchers [response to comments from ALPSP]

Sally,

The problem with taking a single sentence out of context, as you have
done, is that it can lead to misinterpretation:  all the Trust's policies
and supporting documents should be read in their entirety and not quoted
out of context.  We would stress again, as we have done in all
communications with our researchers, that they should make themselves
fully aware of the policy as a whole before taking any action.  The Grant
Conditions themselves make it abundantly clear that they must be read in
conjunction with the Policies and Positions:  the Grant Conditions are
intended as a high level document; the Policies and Positions underpin the
Grant Conditions with more operational detail.  We keep all our policies
under review and we will update and change our guidance based on the
feedback we receive directly.

Further, the policy does not **only** apply to grants awarded from 1
October 2005 - it will also affect existing grant holders whose grants are
still current on 1 October 2006.  Consequently, we were duty bound to
alert current grant holders that papers in preparation now may well come
under the new policy.  Our communication strategy was to alert everyone
who might be affected, and back this up with the detail on our web site.

In the first week of taking our policy live 55 manuscripts were deposited
via the NIHMS system; 11 of these are now available for free in PMC, in a
format that can be archived and integrated with other online database
resources.

Additionally, from our perspective as a funder, these papers are now
linked to the original grant awarded, enabling a link between the
application process and the outputs - a process which facilitates
evaluation and can greatly improve the research process which, as a
research organisation, has been our motivating force from the outset.

Robert Kiley

Head of Systems Strategy & Acting Librarian
Wellcome Library.
Library Web site: http://library.wellcome.ac.uk