To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: Open access: a must for Wellcome Trust researchers

My reading of the Wellcome Trust notice is that it is prospective and
thus is unlikely (not impossible, but unlikely) to cause an author to
breach a contract. I also doubt that the Trust would dream of having
someone breach a contract. I suspect that there was a simple error on
this point in an earlier posting.

Surely it is within bounds for a funding body to stipulate to recipients
how the funds are to be used. If one of the stipulations is to upload a
copy of an article to a repository, so be it; if one of the stipulations
is to insert a hardcopy into a waterproof canister and to tie the
canister to the back of a dolphin, thereby abetting global
dissemination, well, so be it. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Having a right and the wisdom in exercising it are two different things. As the dolphins of Open Access swim the seas, we should expect to see
little change in the publishing environment in the short term. In the
middle term, as the amount of OA content grows, we will see the
availability of OA articles influence decisions to cancel certain
subscriptions (why pay for what you can get free?--and, I insist,
contrary to the assumption of so many OA advocates, librarians are not
stupid), starting with third-tier journals and moving inexorably into
second-tier ones. (I doubt the first tier have anything to fear for
quite a while.) In a declining market, less capital will be invested in
new journals and the appetite to underwrite peer review will diminish. With fewer formal channels available to publish research, research which
will continue to grow year by year, more researchers will publish
informally, with little or no formal peer review process. This will
result in a mass of research literature findable by Google, and it will
initiate new forms of post-publication (more properly, "post-posting")
peer review. There will be new costs attendant to this, and
entrepreneurs will identify ways to serve this evolving market. They
always do.

What OA leads to, then, is the deterioration of the legacy publishing
industry, the growth of unsifted materials on the Net, the
disintermediation of libraries (via Google et al), and a suite of new
business opportunities. Will the world be better or worse? Perhaps
neither. True advances--electricity, antibiotics--are few and far
between. OA is not in this category. It is simply a siphoning-off of
capital that could be more usefully invested elsewhere.

Joe Esposito