To: "David Goodman" <David.Goodman@liu.edu>; <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>; <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:58 AM
Subject: RE: Open access: a must for Wellcome Trust researchers

Re: Sally's comment that the Wellcome Trust "appears to be inciting
(nay, forcing) its researchers to breach the terms of the contracts some
of them they may have signed with publishers."

The simple fact is that the Trust's grant conditions apply to
researchers and their institutions long before any subsequent decisions
are taken about where to publish the results or what the copyright
arrangements for publication may be.  It is not possible to breach the
terms of contracts that do not yet exist: in what way, therefore, is the
Trust forcing its researchers to breach copyright agreements?

Robert Kiley

Head of Systems Strategy & Acting Librarian
Wellcome Library.
210, Euston Road, London. NW1 2BE
Tel: 020 7611 8338; Fax: 020 7611 8726; mailto:r.kiley@wellcome.ac.uk
Library Web site: http://library.wellcome.ac.uk