Re: Response to Goodman's comment on librarians

Janellyn P Kleiner writes

> A bigger challenge today is finding graduates of library & information
> science schools who have the skills and preparation to step into this
> environment without having to "re-educate" them to meet today's academic
> library and university faculty demands. I don't foresee any problems for
> future librarians who are professionally prepared to work in this
> challenging and ever-changing environment. In fact, the demand for those
> with the skills needed today will be greater than ever. Those who will not
> benefit are the ones, unfortunately, still clinging to the traditional
> models of librarianship.

If the enviroment is constantly changing, then the library schools are
chasing a mobile target. Changing the curriculum around every year is not
possible. Thus the schools have to stick to some fundamentals that,
hopefully, will be useful even in five or ten year's time.

>From your point of view, would should be taught in a library
school today that you find most missing when dealing with graduates?

Cheers,

Thomas Krichel                      mailto:krichel@openlib.org
visiting CO PAH, Novosibirsk   http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                           RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel