Re: Who gets hurt by Open Access?

There are various partnering possibilities. One is illustrated by a
collaboration between the Florida Center for Library Automation and
several societies:

Society of Nematologists
Istituto per la Protezione delle Piante (IPP) - Sect. of Bari of the C.N.R
Organization of Nematologists of Tropical America
http://palmm.fcla.edu/nematode/index.htm
Florida Entomological Society
http://www.fcla.edu/FlaEnt/
Florida State Horticultural Society http://purl.fcla.edu/fcla/fshs/

All of these journals are freely available with only one embargoed for one
year.

-- Michele Newberry
Florida Center for Library Automation

Gherman, Paul M wrote:

Possibly societies and libraries might join forces and jointly support
Open Access journals through agreements. We each have faculty in key
roles in their societies that could help develop a model of cooperation.

A cooperative project between libraries and societies has been in place
for several years called ETANA on ancient Near Eastern Studies.
www.etana.org - It is a cooperative project between multiple societies
in ancient Near Eastern studies and several universities. We have
secured several grants to develop the project. Although we do not intend
to publish open access journals, we are engaged in offering access to
scholarly information. Similar projects could be developed between
societies and universities to foster publishing ventures to the academic
community's benefit.  There does not need to be winner and losers as we
move forward.

Gherman, Paul M
University Librarian
Vanderbilt University