RE: A Prophylactic Against the Edentation of the RCUK Policy Proposal

Perhaps it would be well to also avoid such terminology as "most
unlikely"or "will not soon lead..."  and better not to say, as the
that can be said is that one hopes or guesses that the publishers will be
able to adapt and survive.

The hypothesis--stated either way--can and will be tested; it will be
tested as all predictions are, by the events. In the meantime, surely it
is appropriate for all of us in our different sectors to consider the
possibilities.  No one can do this exactly or confidently, but that does
not mean that one cannot do it at all.

It is impossible to conduct an enterprise or organized activity by being
passive. A library most decide whether or not to sign a multi-year
contract. A publisher must decide whether or not to covert a few journals
to OA, and whether or not to impose an embargo for "green" OA. An
institution must decide whether or not to support an IR.  An author must
decide where and how to publish.  To hope for the best is not responsible
planning, and the institutional inertia Crow refers to

In that time we should study the possibilities and the factors involved,
rather than pontificate about them or ignore them, or keep our thinking
under wraps. One can guess intelligently at academic inertia by studying
previous decisions: for example the number of years universities consider
big deals before they enter them.  A publisher can reveal cancellation
rates as a function of embargo length, not consider it as a competitive
secret.  Use figures for journals and for universities can be openly
collected and published.

A publisher--any publisher--has more to gain from knowing this data, than
it has to lose by concealing its own. The standard contracts should be
rewritten to put the statistics -- sufficiently aggregated for privacy --
in the public domain, rather than the property of the publishers or the
universities.

Under Stalin, the USSR  did not release population figures.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu