Chronicle of Higher Education News Release

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:16:19 -0400
From: Alvin Brockway <alvin.brockway@chronicle.com>
To: ann.okerson@yale.edu
Subject: Chronicle News Release

Dear Ann,

When starting to develop a site license pilot program several years ago,
your library license list serv was an invaluable resource.  It also
introduced me to academics such as yourself, Rick Anderson, and others who
were always willing and eager to spend time with me as we developed our
site license service.

If appropriate, if you could post the following "news" to the library
listserv, I would be most appreciative.

Sincerely,

Alvin Brockway
Associate Publisher, Circulation
The Chronicle of Higher Education
The Chronicle of Philanthropy

The Chronicle of Higher Education
Now Offers a Site License Service

July 18, 2005

Contact Information:

Alvin Brockway
alvin.brockway@chronicle.com
The Chronicle of Higher Education
1255 Twenty-third Street N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20037

The Chronicle of Higher Education now offers colleges and universities a
site license that makes it possible to provide campuswide access to all
parts of its Web site.

Until now, only individual subscribers could enjoy complete access to The
Chronicle's Web site.  But strong demand for campuswide access led The
Chronicle to set up a pilot program involving nearly 20 four-year
institutions several years ago.

Institutions such as Columbia, Johns Hopkins, and Stanford Universities,
the University of Iowa, and the University of Nevada at Reno, were among
the first to be able to offer complete access to The Chronicle’s Web
site to all faculty members, administrators, students, and even walk-ins.

"We think this is good both for colleges and universities and for The
Chronicle," says Phil Semas, The Chronicle's editor in chief.  "College
librarians have been telling us for years that they would like to offer
this kind of access, and now they are able to do so.  And we are able to
reach an even larger audience of people in higher education, including
many who are unlikely to ever subscribe."

Under the program, called Chronicle Campuswide, access is controlled by IP
numbers. The contract allows for walk-ins, remote access if using a proxy
server, and inter-library loan.  We've been selling site licenses to
community colleges for more than a year," reports Alvin Brockway, The
Chronicle's associate publisher for circulation, "and have received no
serious complaints about our contract.  All requests have been for minor
changes that we were happy to make.  We don't want the contract to stand
in the way of making The Chronicle available."

The Chronicle's Web site is updated daily, five times a week, with the
latest news from academe. The full text of the weekly newspaper is posted
online every Monday.

The Web site includes a searchable archive of all issues published since
September 1989 and daily e-mail reports since 1998.  The popular, annual
Chronicle Almanac, which looks at college enrollment trends, demographics,
faculty pay, tuition fees, and other statistics, is included, as are all
the essays and commentary published in The Chronicle Review.

Prices range from $875 to $10,000 depending on an institution's FTE
enrollment and other factors.

The contract is posted at http://chronicle.com/campuswide.  Write to
alvin.brockway@chronicle.com for a price proposal.

###