RE: A Prophylactic Against the Edentation of the RCUK Policy Proposal

Joe

You can call it unfortunate if you want, and you can ask us to invest our
life savings if it makes you feel better (and I'm not sure that I would
invest all of my life savings in any one industry - surly as a consultant
you would advise against putting all you eggs in one basket!).  But all
Stevan is asking for is one scrap of empirical evidence, one single hint
that 'self-archiving will lead to journal cancellations'.  With all of
your years' experience can you give Stevan that?

Also, you appear to be rather confused about what is being required. You
suggest that publishers are being asked to '"Give this away". Actually,
authors are being asked to self-archive.  The publishers are not being
asked to do anything at all.  Of course, if the publishers are not happy
publishing self-archived papers then they have every right not to publish
them.  But it is the author that is being asked to deposit (and the
funding body or institution has every right to make that a condition of
grant) - the publisher is not being asked to do anything!

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe
E-mail:  david.prosser@bodley.ox.ac.uk