Governing Law and Venue

I asked our legal counsel about our position on Governing Law. We are not
allowed to agree to anything other than Florida law so staying silent is
our only fall back if a vendor won't agree to it. Below is what our
counsel said. -- Michele

"We prefer to stay silent if the vendor won't agree to Fla. law. What
could happen is if there's a dispute about what law applies, that will be
added as an issue in the lawsuit. It's true it could mean more time &
money spent in the litigation because what law applies will be the first
issue the court will have to rule on, but we would rather take our chances
on winning this issue in court rather than acquiesing in the contract that
another state's law will apply. With respect to the comments about
arbitration, first, I would note that governing law, jurisdiction, & venue
are 3 distinct concepts. Governing law relates to what state's (or
country's) law will apply (Fla, Georgia, etc). Jurisdiction pertains to
what court may have jurisdiction over the parties to decide the dispute
(and note that a Florida court can apply another state's law). Venue
refers to the location of the lawsuit (Gainesville, Jacksonville, etc.). Our office's position is to not waive the right to go to court, but we are
not prohibited by law from agreeing to arbitration. Some people think
arbitrations are quicker & less expensive, but that's frequently not the
case."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Michele Newberry Assistant Director for Library Services
Florida Center for Library Automation 352-392-9020
5830 NW 39th Avenue 352-392-9185 (fax)
Gainesville, FL 32606 fclmin@cns.ufl.edu