RE: Usage of Open Access articles

I think Steve Hitchcock's conclusion is correct, but his arguments show
only that increased use ought to be the case, not that it actually is.

Although citedness is only one aspect of use, an increased citedness (OA
advantage) has been demonstrated by the extensive work at Southampton
<http://citebase.eprints.org/isi_study> and independently by Kristin
Antelman. <http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/staff/kantelman/do_open_access_CRL.pdf>

It needs thoughtful interpretation, however, since it has been shown by
Michael Kurtz <http://arXiv.org/abs/cs/0503029> that in at least one
subject it is primarily a time advantage--OA articles are more visible
sooner.  In other subjects, such might not be the case, as Stevan Harnad
just reminded us on this list in his response to Joe Exposito's article.

Other measures of use are possible, and the systematic collection of
conventional use (downloading) data for OA articles is under
investigation.

But the true point is that we would only be measuring a transitory
phenomenon, since "the OA advantage will shrink once we reach 100% OA"
(SH, op cit. ) Stevan's further remark that it will increase overall
readership may not seem obvious, because article reading is probably
limited by the time available. However, the less cumbersome operation as
compared to the present fragmented system should actually increase the
time available for productive reading.  There is no reason to continue a
system where the reader has to figure out an acces route, and cannot be
sure of finding one that will be fast and easy.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu