Re: Usage of Open Access articles

If the increased use of scholarly materials is not among the benefits of
Open Access, as I contend, then what are the benefits?  I found the
comments on this thread to be very helpful, as is Stevan Harnad's comment
that was not appended to this thread, though I am more skeptical of
Harnad's position.  If I understand the underlying economic theory of
Harnad's position, one implication is that 97% of the world's computer
users work with Macs.

But what are the benefits?  The primary benefit, at least at this time, is
that it has put publishers on their toes.  While some publishers continue
to hold the OA movement in contempt (never a good posture), most are
taking steps to ward off the inroads of OA.  OA is already serving to
moderate pricing (some would argue with this proposition), it has
accelerated electronic publishing initiatives, and it is a factor in
assessing the launch of new journals and the acquisition of companies.
OA has triggered an interest on publishers' parts in innovation.  This may
be small potatoes to OA purists, but the fact is that the landscape looks
very different from what it was even three years ago. OA gets at lest part
of the credit for this.  And Stevan Harnad, with whom I don't always
agree, surely deserves the credit for being the most influential force in
the publishing industry today, and not just in research publications, all
his protestations to the contrary.  Indeed, one possible outcome is that
the publishers who read this thread will hasten to get their usage numbers
up, creating an arms' race with OA publications.  Surely authors will not
complain about being fought over in this manner.

Joe Esposito