Re: Asking for your input re. scholarly publishing developments

Ann: I think one development has been the changes in how faculty choose
to work. Faculty are driving the demand for "one-stop shopping," "the
complete workstation," etc. and that is requiring us to move from our
traditional models to models that drive data to the desktop. I
particularly note this among our recent hires. And this is not just an
issue of their traveling more; it's how they work. The blend of work and
other aspects of life is also a factor. This is unsurprising, also, but
it's an element that is not reflected in your brief comments below. And
it's not just happening with content (which is your focus) -- it's
happening with service as well, e.g., chat ref (24/7), e-mail ref.

As for question 2, my question in return is did we choose or did the
development choose us? There's a strong sense that technology is driving
us. As for choosing a product over its competition, e.g., SFX, Serials
Solutions, etc., etc., I think the traditional reasons apply, e.g.,
politics, consortial decisions made system-wide (my situation), price,
particular features that are particularly important to an individual
institution at that particular moment in time, etc.

Aline Soules, Associate University Librarian
California State University, East Bay
tel. 510-885-4596
e-mail: asoules@csuhayward.edu (until Apr. 20); aline.soules@csueastbay.edu (after Apr. 20)

Liblicense-L Listowner wrote:

Dear Liblicense-l readers: For a talk I'm giving later this spring, I've
been asking colleagues a pair of questions, which I'd also like to pose to
readers of this list. I'd be glad to summarize the answers and would appreciate hearing from you this week if possible.

Question #1: Over the last ten years, what strategies or developments
have particularly and visibly influenced the way scholarly publishing and
library collections development are done?

[For example, some unsurprising answers so far have been: Ejournal
aggregations (such as JSTOR, HighWire, Muse); The Big Deal; Google; Open
Access; Consortia]

Question #2: What has been the high or transforming impact of the
developments you chose (i.e., why did you name them?)

Please do answer and please don't feel limited by the list above.

Thank you, Ann Okerson
Yale Library