Re: Fascinating quotation

I tend to agree with David that OA could - in principle - appeal to many
publishers, as it satisfies their and their authors' aim of reaching the
maximum target readership.  However, there are some big questions to be
answered:

What does the publication (or submission + publication) charge need to be,
for the journal to remain viable and to satisfy whatever the
profit/surplus needs of the parent organisation may be?

Do authors have access to sufficient funds to cover that charge?

Only if the answer to the second question is yes, will OA succeed.  If the
answer is no, it will destroy journals (and potentially, societies too -
unlike commercial publishers, they don't have the option to get out and do
something different)

That is why we are carrying out our major research project (with AAAS and
HighWire) to try to obtain some concrete information, which is singularly
lacking at present

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
E-mail:  chief-exec@alpsp.org