RE: Fascinating quotation

1. Speaking literally, the following is indeed true:

> "However, journal cancellations by medical libraries up to now have
> absolutely nothing to do with the NIH proposal, since it is not yet in
> effect, and may not be for some time."

 I suggested that this will not necessarily be the case in future years,
and the original posting and the above comment does not contradict me.
Neither of us knows what will be the exact meaning of "some time."

 2. The response confirms my posting. Only a few libraries still have the
ones at the lowest level. This then leaves the next level up, and so on.

3. The quotation

>  I don't care what other subject libraries do. Again, I was referring
> only to medical libraries and the NIH proposal.

 is "difficult to get across" because it contradicts all experience.. It
would only make sense if medicial journals were bought only by medical
libraries, and non-medical journals were never bought by medical
libraries. Neither is correct, and the catalog of any library will show
it.

Though the author does not ask me, I do apologize for using names of
individuals and the name of a representative library when there was no
need to do so. I do not consider this a personal argument between us, and
I suggest that our real views on what will happen and how to respond are
probably almost identical.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University