Re: Critique of STM Critique of NIH Proposal

Apologies for coming in late to this thread

One point which I think is frequently overlooked, when considering the
various schemes for providing free or low-cost Western publications to
less developed countries, is the impact on local publishers.  I have heard
from various sources that local publishers are experiencing considerable
damage - not only is the market swamped with non-local publications, but
customer expectations are now that all publications should be free.

I think it is important that we remember the importance of strengthening
local publishing at the same time

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
E-mail:  chief-exec@alpsp.org