Re: Exchange in the Financial Times

Steve, OA is hugely important in today's discourse about the future of
scholarly communications, publishing, and all that sails therein.  But,
just to offer some perspective:  OA is front and center in STM
journal-related discussions.  Our library may be unusual in this, but we
estimate well under 1/4 of our budget is spent on STM journals, with the
rest on various databases, books, area studies materials, newspapers,
images, media, and much more -- way over half of our acquistions are from
outside N. American publishers, and a large proportion are from
"non-western" publishers.

The dominance of OA or not, is likely to depend on the mix of fields of
study and supporting materials at a given university.

Also, there are other areas of scholarly communications that command our
attention (and innovative skills).  The foremost among them, to my mind,
is long-term digital archiving, preservation, access.  Through activities
such as LOCKSS, the NDIIPP funding led by Library of Congress, and various
publisher and vendor activities, the digitital preservation topic
underpins many library discussions and activities (without solving
long-term digital preservation we will not succeed in electronic scholarly
communications).  There are other significant areas of activity, such as
scaled-up digitization possibilities, both from the for-profit and not-for
profit sectors that command a great deal of attention by numerous
libraries, especially the larger ones.  There's a whole set of activity
(growing) that can't begin to be captured in the traditional scholarly
article.  I can think of several more, but let me stop for now...  Best,
Ann Okerson/Yale Library