Re: JISC Invitation to Tender: Open Access Publishing Initiative Round 2

I think David makes an important point here which I would like to
underline for US readers.

Journals outside the US (including not-for-profits) do not charge page
charges and there is no tradition of grants allowing for page charges.

Indeed some research funders specifically refuse to allow the money they
are granting to be used to pay page charges. Charges for (extra) color are
a different matter. Bodies like the Royal Society in the UK have funds
that can be applied to for purposes of paying color charges.