RE: JISC Invitation to Tender: Open Access Publishing Initiative Round 2

Sally,

I think your letter implies that most society publishers did not begin to
consider Open Access until the JISC proposal was issued. Given the HoC
report, I find it difficult to imagine a publisher not recognizing that
they might have to deal with the consequences, and deal with them as early
as the coming subscription year.

Even a publisher who has been continuing strenuous efforts to prevent the
realisation of the proposals, and thoroughly condemns them from every
point of view, must have realized that there was a reasonable possibility
that they would come into effect.

Do you really think that UK publishers would have been planning not to to
permit UK authors to fulfill their forthcoming obligations, and thus limit
their publishing to authors from the countries that might not have a
similar requirement?

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University