Camcording Films a Felony & protecting children

Subject: House Bill Makes Camcording Films a Felony

House Bill Makes Camcording Films a Felony
Wed Sep 29, 2004 01:41 AM ET
By Brooks Boliek

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=M4KI0SZM3VMGICRBAEKSFFA?type=industryNews&storyID=6360366&pageNumber=1

WASHINGTON (Hollywood Reporter) - Movie pirates beware. If you get caught
camcording a movie, you could get up to six years in federal prison under
legislation that won approval by the House on Tuesday.  The bill's fate is
unclear as it still must win Senate approval before it can be signed by
President Bush, but supporters think the Senate could vote on it next
week.

The Piracy Deterrence and Education Act makes camcording a felony
punishable by three years in prison for a first offense and six years for
later offenses.  It also seeks to make it easier for the Justice
Department to prosecute Internet users who illegally distribute large
amounts of music and other copyrighted works. It was approved on a voice
vote.  "There seems to be a belief among America's youth ... that
copyright piracy is either an acceptable activity or one that carries a
low risk of penalties," said Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., chairman of
the House Judiciary Committee.  Passage of the bill was praised by the
motion picture industry, which fought for the bill along with the record
industry.  "Today's action by the House of Representatives will help
thwart the widespread theft of America's intellectual property," MPAA
president and CEO Dan Glickman said. "Digital film piracy is a menace that
poses a dire threat to every American filmmaker.

H.R. 4077 will provide law enforcement the necessary tools to go after the
heart of film piracy: Illegal camcording of movies and the online theft of
films on peer-to-peer networks or on similar technologies. Without such
legislative remedies, film piracy could have a disastrous impact on the
American film industry and put to peril the livelihoods of men and women
who are employed in our industry."

While the MPAA was pleased with the anti-piracy sections of the bill, it
was less than thrilled by a section of 4077 known as the Family Movie Act.
That legislation, written by Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, would indemnify
technologies that block out purportedly offensive content from motion
pictures. The industry fought that bill in committee until it was married
to 4077.

"We testified against the Family Movie Act, and we stand by that
testimony," MPAA vp David Green said. "We aren't supporting 4077 because
it includes the Family Movie Act but because it includes important
anti-piracy measures, and we appreciate the chairmen's willingness to hear
our concerns and address some of them."  Smith said the Family Movie Act
is necessary to protect children... see link for rest of article.  Chuck �
__