RE: Springer blasts Open Choice criticism-- Concensus

Dear Heather,

My figure was not an estimate of costs, but merely an indication of where
I think the general consensus lies based on postings, published articles
and reports, and ignoring statements in newspapers and oral testimony.

I do not consider myself qualified to estimate publishing costs. I do not
have detailed data from a single publisher, let alone the industry as a
whole. For accuracy, I would need not merely detailed but audited data: I
know of none.  My experience and training do not in any case qualify me to
judge publishers' cost accounting, though I am always interested when
publishers present even fragments.

I do consider myself qualified to understand what apparently reliable
public sources say, and summarize and report what I find. That is all that
I did, and all that I am able to do.

To step outside my qualifications for a moment, I would regard any of a
wide range of costs as potentially valid, given the different bases for
the accounting and the different publications. I do not regard the views
of Heather and those of Sally as necessarily incompatible.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu