Re: The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access

Stevan's reply to Brian is precisely what one would have expected him to
say, given his previous statements.  Like Stevan, I agree that
peer-reviewed "journals" should stay, though exactly what a "journal" will
look like in the middle-distance future is arguable.  The majority of
journals, as he also points out, are toll-access still.

However, Brian had specifically talked about "in the long run".  The
issue, which Stevan usually specifically excludes talking about, but
others of us may want to think about, is this: What happens if we are all
merrily self-archiving our published papers, and thus no-one needs to buy
journals any more, so they go out of business and thus can't organise the
peer-review and editing processes any more?  Stevan tends to say "let's
self-archive and worry about the other thing if it happens".  Others of us
may wish to do slightly more pro-active crystal-ball gazing.

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University, UK