Re: The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access

Brian Simboli talks about 'journals' vs individual articles (that appear
in journals). More than 50 years ago (1948 I guess) the british physicist
J D Beranal talked about providing access to individual articles at a
meeting convened by the Royal Society. His arguement was simple. Imagine
that my institution's library subscribes to 500 journals andeach carrying
on average 100 articles per year. Of these 50,000 articles, all of us -
faculty and students of our institution put together - may actually refer
to only a few hundred papers at the most. In which case why pay for all
the other papers we do not use?

The new technology permits us now to access only what we really use and
not for a whole bundle.

Arun