RE: Oxford Journals - 2005 Price list

Consider the implications of:

"The online-only rates have been removed for the following three titles,
as online-only subscriptions will cease to be available from 2005
(although online will still be available as part of a print subscription).
This is because, on some occasions, we will not be able to obtain
perpetual licenses to display enough of the illustrations within articles
to justify the independent existence of an online-only version.  The
online version will provide useful 24/7 access to the full text of the
journals, but will exclude the majority of the illustrations which will
only be found in the print version.

*Journal of Design History
*Journal of the History of Collections
*Oxford Art Journal"

This is very ominous for the future of scholarship ion the humanities.
Especially note the word "enough" in "... we will not be able to obtain
perpetual licenses to display enough of the illustrations within
articles..." Does this imply that the versions currently made available of
other journals do not contain all the illustrations that appear in the
print version?

JStor and Muse must have had the identical problem; how are they dealing
with it? Either OUP is being excessively cautious, or JStor and Muse are
being reckless?

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University