RE: Institutional Open Access Membership : a better way

The point of publishing papers not separately, but in a journal, is that
they share common characteristics: they have the same standards of review,
they can be accessed similarly, and the journal name is a convenient
mnemonic.

To have different articles in the same journal accessed differently
defeats these virtues. Upon finding an article in an index, one wants to
read it; a frequent user will remember if there is a subscription, any
user can consult the catalog. Upon remembering that something was
published in JASIST in the last year, one can easily find and read it.
But when the articles are accessed differently, this fails. To have the
computer linking system such as sfx work properly for such a journal
requires encoding each article. To have a catalog give an intelligible
list, it must show a variant of "some articles available
electronically--try and see for yourself."  And obvously, the recent
proposals for required OA will further spread this problem. It's as
confusing as less than 100% self-archiving: some articles will be
available by self-archiving--try and find them--at least here there are
tools being developed.

I can understand, however, why a publisher, especially the publisher of a
single journal, may find that providing OA only to some articles the only
safe path, and feel it sufficient that all the articles will be OA in 6
months or so--varying of course by journal.

I propose an alternative: let the publisher publish the immediate OA
articles in one journal, and the others in a separate related one. The
journal's prestige will cover both, and readers and computers will know
what to expect.  In other words, PNAS-for-all, and PNAS-for-some. I
propose these names with a smile; I am sure that cleverer people than I
will devise better. A similar method will serve the journals that need to
meet the forthcoming NIH requirements: Journal of Postmolecular Biology
(NIH), and Journal of Postmolecular Biology (nonNIH). (My invention, but
it sounds like a good name.)

I do not think this the best solution: 100% OA journals is the best
solution, and 100% OA archiving the second best. But this would help us
bridge the gap.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University