Re: Cost of Open Access Journals: Other Observations

Fytton:  Your message makes sense; I too believe(d)  that the OA journals
charging publication fees were established, (at least partly) in order to
test the viability of author-pays, rather than reader-pays, for a variety
of interesting reasons.  But last weekend, when participating on an OA
panel at a society conference and making a similar point to yours, I heard
from one of the highly visible OA publishers that the reason they created
library membership fees was that a number of libraries had approached
*them* (the publishers) and said they wanted to help -- and asked how they
could support these journals/publishers financially, could they pay
something?  From this response, which has also been mentioned in other
fora, it would appear that we in the library community somehow don't want
to test this option in any rigorous way -- or at least we are not
advancing that experiment.

(Note herein I'm not saying that librarians should or shouldn't have made
these offers, but now reporting a discussion at a recent meeting of STM
journal editors.)  Ann Okerson/Yale Library