RE: PNAS Introduces Open Access Publishing Option

Carl,

In any case, your question does not become important until the entire
journal is OA. It was already the case that a library subscription
included material that was freely available, because for PNAS everything
older than 6 months already was OA. So a common publishers' strategy now
is to provide something which is not OA to keep the subscriptions. Whether
libraries will be willing to continue subscribing to electronic journals
whose entire contents is available is a critical question. If they are
(even at a reduced figure, as Bernd-Christoph Kaemper suggests),
supporting the journal financially should not be very difficult. If they
are not willing, it becomes harder, since the full cost of producing PNAS
must be more than $1000/article.

The best resolution of the dispute about whether the cost of a journal
should be supported from the producer/author/sponsor side or the
library/consumer side, ought to be for them to share the cost.

Dr. David Goodman
dgoodman@liu.edu