RE: A COUNTER concern.

It is possible, of course, perhaps probable, that COUNTER provides proof
of the LACK of utility of the products purchased or leased. That, I
suspect, is a fear that at least some publishers may have, making it in
their interest to sustain confusion.

COUNTER is also not very satisfactory for open access journals. The best
it can provide is the MINIMUM number of downloads an article has had. This
is because open access articles are available from a multitude of servers
and repositories, and not only from the publisher's own site (which is the
only one COUNTER counts, presumably). That said, it's most likely that
even this minimum proves to be better than for otherwise similar articles
that are not open access. For an idea of the most-viewed articles in
BioMed Central's open access journals, look here:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/mostviewed/. There is a 'most-viewed in the
last 30 days' and an 'all-time most-viewed' list.

Jan Velterop
www.biomedcentral.com

[SNIP]