Re: PNAS Introduces Open Access Publishing Option

Bravo! I guess.  But doesn't this mean that PNAS is simultaneously
charging some authors for publishing services while the rest of us
[libraries] still pay for receiving the product?  Better not let the
commercial publishers get wind of this model.  - Carl

Carl A. Anderson
Director of Electronic Resources
Drexel University Libraries
215-895-2771
Carl.Anderson@drexel.edu

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Allen, Kerri wrote:

> The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) currently
> offers an open access publishing option. PNAS authors may opt to pay a
> $1000 surcharge to make their articles available for free via PNAS Online
> <http://www.pnas.org/> and PubMed Central <www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov>
> immediately upon publication.
>
> PNAS will offer this open access option as an experiment until December
> 31, 2005. PNAS will then either continue to move toward an author-pays
> open access model, maintain the option in the same or modified form, or
> discontinue it. By introducing this trial option, PNAS strengthens its
> commitment to making the scientific literature more freely available than
> ever before, and hopes that its support of open access will encourage
> other scientific publishers to follow suit. PNAS will evaluate author
> participation and the financial impact of the open access option on PNAS
> revenue.

[SNIP]