Who isn't being heard in the Open Access debate?

Bob Houbeck, back in 1992 reminded the Oklahoma Conference that MOST
research in the U.S. is NOT done by academics.

I checked the NSF reports, and in the year 2000, the most recent year of
data I could find, academic institutions performed 43% of all basic
research.

The majority of basic research is NOT being done in academic institutions.
Is that true for the UK as well? In talking primarily to academics and
academic publishers (whose primary market in many cases is academic
institutions) at least in the US the majority producers of basic research
are not being as actively included in this discussion.

Can BMC or PLOS tell what percentage of their downloads are coming outside
of academe? Is there a comprehensive register somewhere of IP ranges for
academic institutions that could provide a way of getting ballpark on this
question? If the majority of basic research is outside the academy, and
the majority of STM journal sales are inside the academy there is a larger
issue at stake than university and college library budgets in this debate.
It's possible this has been discussed (I realize there have been postings
about percent of sales to non-academic institutions).

And I might have missed this being raised in earlier posts.

Chuck Hamaker
UNC Charlotte