RE: How to fund open access journals from available sources

Pardon me, but I think that this is political creed (laudable or not,
according to one's ideas):

> OA is one part of the evolution from author-based fixed expression to
> community-based dynamic expression. We have to begin to conceive of
> articles not as "papers" but as nodes on a network.  It's time that we
> all began to stand on the shoulders of giants.

The only way I could embrace this *as science* is if someone showed me
studies with excellent methodology demonstrating that the stimulation
stemming from collective work where authorship is diffuse achieves
intellectual heights greater than that achieved by "individual giants".
(I am reminded that all kinds of experiments were run in the 60's in the
domain of the arts - and most of us cannot recall a single work from that
period.)

OA is well worth debating - but I hope to focus on this:

> OA articles can be seamlessly integrated and aggregated, simultaneously
> searched, linked to citations and semantically similar texts

rather than on poetics.  Best, Elena Fraboschi