RE: How to fund open access journals from available sources

I fully, fully agree with Joe. The most important attraction of OA is the
unencumbered access and usage regime which offers the possibility of using
papers as 'raw material' for all manner of (meta-)analysis and other
scientific work. It's necessary to do modern science. This cannot be
stressed enough. Universal access is not to be sniffed at, though. For
many it's a major benefit, too. Lower cost is perhaps no more than just a
fortunate side-effect, as a result of getting rid of the monopoly
potential, but must be a great relief for those regularly confronted with
budget cheque-mate.

Jan Velterop