RE: Picking up on Ann's comment

Ann is absolutely right. Even with the most creative business models, such
as open access, the STM journal concept remains much the same. In the open
access model the way we at BioMed Central, and the Public Library of
Science, and the other, growing, number of open access journals operate,
the journals publishing system doesn't at all change from peer-reviewed
bundles of articles per journal into "something more freewheeling".
Journals remain; peer-review remains. What changes is the monopolistic
nature of the conventional system that leads to prices that are too high
and dissemination that is unnecessarily restricted.

I also agree with Joe that in all likelihood Google and its kin will soar.
But I hope it's not too strident to point out that when articles are found
via Google, their usefulness is immensely improved by the full text being
accessible without barriers. The natural successor to the monopoliarchy is
the 'res publica' of universal open access.

Jan Velterop