RE: Open access and impact factor

Impact factor does not measure the importance of an article. Impact factor
does apply to articles, but only to journals. The impact factor of a
journal is the citations to the journal during the previous 2 years,
divided by the number of articles published in the journal during that
period. It measures not precisely the importance of a journal, but the
rate of citation of the average article in the journal during the yearts
after publication. It thus serves as an approximation to the immediate
importance of a journal, as compared to other journals of the same type in
the same subject. (Citation patterns differ for different types of
journal--e.g. reviews, newletters, etc., and of course for different
subjects.) Thwre is much about a journal that impact factor does not
measure, including the long-term citation frequency of its articles, or
their use in other manner than citation, such as for student papers.

But Rick's discussion does hold if one is considering an open access
journal as compared to a similar conventional journal. During the period
when both types coexist, the open access journals will indeed have a wider
potential readership. Both he and I expect that, assuming equal interest
and quality, this will translate into a wider actual readership, a greater
use, and more frequent citation.  I consider this the strongest and most
basic argument for open access--it will permit more people to use the
journal. It also demonstrates why equivalent conventional and open access
journals in the same subject are unlikely to coexist: the conventional
journal will be at a disadvantage.

Alternatively, if one thinks that the current system meets all potential
needs, then one would not expect this effect, because everyone who would
cite the journal is already able to access it, and is effectively doing
so.  It's this differing prediction that makes the question interesting.

David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu