RE: PLoS

Anthony is undoubtedly right in spotting difficulties of transition for
traditional publishers. His question: "Is going OA safer than relying on
the current system to handle the expected increase in research and the
concomitant increase in research articles?" I'm (not surprisingly)
inclined to answer with a firm "yes", as the OA publishing model is
directly and intrinsically linked to the research output. Unlike the
traditional subsciption model.

But models are only models and should be serving the needs of the
scientific community. May this be an appropriate point to remind us all of
the words of Richard Horton, Editor, in a recent editorial in The Lancet?:

"The long-term goal for any editor of a primary research medical journal
is to strengthen the culture of scientific inquiry and to improve human
health. These are the ultimate yardsticks by which readers, authors,
funding agencies, librarians, and publishers should judge the success of
journals. In the sometimes divisive debate about open access, let us not
lose sight of the fact that the publishing model is simply a means to a
much greater end, an end that has far too long been neglected."

What is true for medical journals is also true, mutatis mutandis, for
journals in other disciplines. So let's heed Richard's words and focus the
discussion on what is best for science and society instead of what is best
for publishers.

Jan Velterop