RE: Clarifying (RE: Open access and the ALA)

> Last night I did a little poking around on the ALA Web site in reaction to
> Rick Anderson's question. The answer, I believe, is that the degree of
> open access varies by ALA publication. A sampling:

Thanks for ferreting out this information, Bernie.  Your results confirm
my initial suspicion -- that the library profession is not yet in a very
good position to criticize other non-profit publishing bodies that are
responding slowly and cautiously to the Open Access call.

To be fair to the ALA, I should point out that it has, in fact, stopped
short of criticizing non-profits that are still charging the public for
access to their publications.  As others have noted, the ALA _has_
expressed support for the idea of open access, so I assume that it is
working towards a business model that will eventually make its
publications freely available to all.

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries