RE: Clarifying (RE: Open access and the ALA)

Last night I did a little poking around on the ALA Web site in reaction to
Rick Anderson's question. The answer, I believe, is that the degree of
open access varies by ALA publication. A sampling:

The journal Information Technology and Libraries (ITAL) offers the text of
some of the papers it publishes. The most recent issue of ITAL available
on the Web (Vol 22, No 3) has the editorial available online, 2 of the 3
feature articles available online, 1 of 4 communications papers available
online, and 1 of 1 book reviews available online.

Reference and User Services Quarterly doesn't appear to offer any full
text. The most I could find were abstracts of feature articles.

The professional periodical American Libraries appears to offer a limited
number of its articles online, e.g. 6 articles total from 2003. It also
offers its news online, and the full text of several columns is available
on a regular basis.

As a point of contrast, Library Journal (which is a professional
periodical not affiliated with ALA) offers the text of a substantial
number of its feature articles online. The table of contents for the paper
version of Vol 129, no 2 (2/1/04) lists five feature articles. Each of
those feature articles is available from the Library Journal Web site.