Reply to post from Fred Friend

I respectfully submit to Mr. Friend that the "huge unsatisfied demand" is
not for access to academic information but for more outlets for one's own
publications.  The problem is one of oversupply, which chokes the
distribution system and makes (some) publishers look like crooks.  Since
in the academic arena it is authors, not readers, who are the principal
beneficiaries of publication, an author-pays model makes a great deal of
sense, especially as it would serve to moderate production and thereby
provide some relief to the beleaguered reader.

Joe Esposito