RE: response to Mr. Esposito's comments

Mr. Esposito's comments are overly broad and much too cynical.  As a
librarian in a small, research oriented liberal arts college, I see a huge
demand for published scholarship from our faculty and from the
students--on topics ranging the disciplines.  Despite the growing nimbers
of online (subscription based or open access) journals and our own
moderately healthy paper holdings I routinely work with students who find
the perfect articles that fall into neither category.  Certainly authors
are beneficiaries of publication, but there is also an active scholarly
community established and emerging using the publications.  I imagine that
scientists will grow accostumed to setting aside a few hundred to a few
thousand dollars from their grants for the purpose of publishing the
results of their research.  Scholars in the humanities may not have these
large grants, but I imagine that the cost of publishing a journal with a
subscription of anywhere from $40.00/year to $150/year will not cost in
the few thousand dollar per article range.  Something reasonable will
develop in the humanities and even struggling university press publishers
will find a formula that allows them to continue to make their ends
meet--if not to become powerhouses in the publishing industry.

Rebecca Stuhr
Collection Development and Preservation
  Librarian
Grinnell College Libraries