Re: a preservation experience

I have also been giving a lot of thought to Eileen Fenton's excellent
message.

It seems to me that the fundamental issue embedded here for a long-term
archiving solution (or solutions) is the need for one or more business
models that can lead to stable long-term funding for the effort.  This is
not to dismiss the technological issues (or the other issues on Eileen's
list) surrounding this topic, but to suggest that we have made more
progress in identifying possible technological solutions than we have in
outlining business models that result in a steady and adequate flow of
resources to the institutions and organizations that we will be relying on
to preserve the content for future generations.

What I am really struggling with now is how to reconcile the need for a
sustainable funding model for the archive with the recent, and
understandable, push for open access publishing.  I'm sure we all see the
value of open access for the communities we serve, just as we understand
the critical need for preservation of that content.  The business models
that provide for open access publishing may not be mutually exclusive with
the business models that would help to support a long-term archive, but I
am having trouble imagining a framework that provides for both.

Keith Seitter
Deputy Executive Director
American Meteorological Society