Re: Dewey, the Library Hotel and U. Illinois

Bernie and Rick raise an excellent point. You do not have to go very far
to find instances of Dewey Decimal Classification, DDC, Dewey Decimal
System, etc. used without the TM designation.

Check these pages:

http://www.oclc.org/dewey/default.htm
http://www.oclc.org/dewey/about/default.htm
http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/dewey/
http://www.oclc.org/dewey/versions/ddc22print/
http://www.oclc.org/dewey/versions/webdewey/
http://www.oclc.org/dewey/versions/abridgededition14/
(none of which have a visible TM indicia or marking)

Compare with:

http://www.oclc.org/news/announcements/announcement40.htm
(which has the registered TM notation)

Samuel Trosow

***

Sloan, Bernie wrote:

And I imagine that the U of Illinois is not alone in this. There are
probably a lot of examples, which doesn't exactly help OCLC's case against
the Library Hotel.

By the way, I wasn't defending OCLC in my earlier note. Sue Martin had
asked "Which is it, copyright or trademark?" I was clarifying that it was
trademark, and not copyright.

Bernie Sloan