Re: Owner of Dewey Decimal System Sues Library-Themed Hotel

I can't believe OCLC is taking this seriously. Looks as though this
"not-for-profit" company has become just a plain old money-grubber. These nudnicks are demanding 3 times the profit the hotel has maded. Give me a break! The article states that 80% or more of libraries still
use the Dewey system. Can this be possible? I've been in and out of a
myriad (as user or visitor, not just as an employee)of libraries since I
began working in libraries over 30 years ago and I've not seen any major
libraries still clinging to that cumbersome, tedious, and antiquated
system. How can 80+ percent be still using it. Maybe the tiny libraries
in the East Podunks of the world but certainly no research libraries???

It seems to me OCLC should be flattered that the system is being used in
this way. It's good advertising and they're getting it free.

Also, it's been well over 100 years since old Melville devised this system
so wouldn't it be out of copyright by now? And since when have libraries
been paying $500 per year to use the Dewey system? Is this true? As a
library director using the NLM classification system, we don't pay, as far
as I know, a royalty to use this system.

OCLC needs to get a grip.

Thomas L. Williams, A.H.I.P., M.S.L.S.
Director, Biomedical Libraries
University of South Alabama