Re: Owner of Dewey Decimal System Sues Library-Themed Hotel

I don't know if 80% use it currently.  But almost every public library
I've ever used has been Dewey. I imagine most school libraries still use
Dewey as well. Here at OU we no longer catalog in Dewey, but we still have
a large section of Dewey books that we just don't have the resources to
recatalog, and I'm sure there are other universities in the same
situation. If they count uses like that, it may well be 80%.  I used Dewey
at a small college library a few years ago, and I never paid a $500 fee
per year.  I did pay for the DDC on CD, with an annual fee for updates,
however.  But if I hadn't cared too much for being up-to-date, I could
have gotten an old print DDC through Duplicate Exchange or a used book
store online and used it without paying a fee (which is the approach I
usually recommend to small church libraries).

Janet Brennan Croft
Head of Access Services
University of Oklahoma
Bizzell Library NW104