RE: License problem with American Geophysical Union

Seems to me that if a state could be implicated by the interpretation of
the license, there's a _Seminole Tribe_ issue at hand.  Would signing the
license be taken as a waiver of state immunity?  I don't think any
librarian has that authority.  Does the publisher really want to be
negotiating the terms of these licenses with state AGs? Laurie

>>> pvp@libr.stedwards.edu 9/9/03 5:04:20 PM >>>

Rick, If you have access to legal counsel (either at your institution or
through other means), I would pose the question to them for an informed
answer. I'm not sure that an institution can be held responsible for the
activities of its associates or members ..., especially an institution
which is run by the state because, by implication, you would be making the
state of NV legally liable for the actions of one of its citizens, at
least in my humble opinion. ...

Peter Picerno