Consulting with counsel (RE: License problem with American Geophysical Union)

> Rick, If you have access to legal counsel (either at your institution or
> through other means), I would pose the question to them for an informed
> answer.

Going to counsel is always good advice, and I'd take it if I were
wondering what I'm legally allowed to accept in the license.  In this
case, though, it's more a matter of willingness.  Even if counsel told me
we had the legal option of assuming responsibility for our users'
behavior, I'd refuse on the basis that to do so would be idiotic.  The
fact that AGU can't see the inherent absurdity in the proposition is what
continues to amaze me.

Rick Anderson
rickand@unr.edu