Re: Lawmakers to Weigh Database Protection Bill

> It is another sheer grab of material that can't be copyrighted-Even
> if we don't own it, we can make you use it the way we want?

I don't think so.  Nothing would stop someone from independently coming up
with the identical database.  What would be prohibited would be copying
the database that someone else had aggregated.  This is not a copyright
issue per se.  What it is is an attempt to codify the moral argument that
the "sweat of the brow" counts for something.  People who are concerned
about having access to public domain information have nothing to fear from
this legislation.

Joe Esposito